Gas Combustion Unit
0.5 – 6.5 t/h methane
(other variables available on request)
The GCU (Gas Combustion Unit) developed by SAACKE makes it possible to transport liquefied natural gas (LNG) safely and reliably at sea. It utilizes excess boil-off gas to produce heat while ensuring maximum availability.
The GCU combines an SSB series burner with an air-cooled steel combustion chamber. All components are designed so compactly that the entire plant fits in the area of the ship's funnel, thus saving valuable space on board. The GCU has several energy-saving fans, can be ignited by either oil or gas and can be brought to full load in just a few minutes.
With a design specially adapted to ship-specific needs, the GCU combines all the advantages of economical, operationally reliable and environmentally friendly combustion at sea. Some of its outstanding features include:
- Weatherproof design increases resistance to corrosion, thereby preventing wear on individual components of the GCU, especially the burner and floor of the combustion chamber
- Internally insulated combustion chamber makes the GCU a cold structure and therefore a strong structure
- Low heat radiation and minimum NOx emission due to the low flame temperature resulting from the high air excess (250%)
- Turbulent wave motion does not cause contact between the flame and the walls of the combustion chamber. This significantly increases the stability of the combustion chamber
- Vertical or horizontal installation possible
- Low maintenance costs because no belt-driven fans are used
- Oil-fired ignition burner guarantees continuous operation even in exceptional situations
- Controlled fuel-to-air ratio ensures reliable combustion and low emission values
- Easy maintenance through funnel shaft. Internal parts such as the combustion chamber and burner can be removed and replaced
- The space between the combustion chamber and outer casing is accessible